Inquiry regarding waterproof electronic connector to use on a boat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuicyThio

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2015
CA
Hello all,

I'm doing a school project which aims to improve the Martin 16 sailboat for sailors with physical disability of varying degrees. One of the areas for improvement that my team has identified is to change the current Bulgin connectors to something that is easier to clean. The problem with the current connectors is that even though they are waterproof, the connection requires to be connected/disconnected frequently, and the volunteers are not really cleaning them properly. As we have no control over the volunteers, we thought it would be improved if we could switch to a different type of connectors that is still waterproof but easier to clean. Does anyone have any suggestion as to where to look?

Thanks a lot!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What he meant was, when you look up the connectors in the manufacturer's documentation, are they _intended_ for a high number of mate/demate cycles? Many connectors are not.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I know exactly what you need. They are made to be frequently attached and detached. They are weatherproof under extreme marine conditions. They are available in a number of configurations, both foreign and domestic. No special knowledge required to operate.
They are the connectors on the cargo ships that plug into unloading docks so they can run on shore power.

I did the structural modifications to the piers at Long Beach to accommodate these electrical vaults but we had electrical engineers that did the connectors and the boxes. Other than looking up marine electrical equipment, I don't know where to look for these. I do remember the restrooms in the Port Engineering office had good maritime trade magazines that hype this stuff. Powering ships from shore while docked is a big environmental deal these days.
Moffatt and Nichol was the company I worked for that did this work.

Buggar,
I am not sure that a ship to shore connector is small enough for Juicy Thios application.
The connectors in question are used for various forms of assisted steering from amplified hand controls, to sip and puff electronic steering.
They are usually hooked to a computer controlled servo motor. Maybe a marine communication connector ?
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=martin+16+sailboat&view=detailv2&&id=77983D8D2F9C5EBDCD3D5463D52DF49143ABC720&selectedIndex=7&ccid=Pb4lmHiA&simid=608017346664334577&thid=OIP.M3dbe25987880d4db5950ff72c08c1fdbo0
Deutsche connectors seem to be the industry standard for marine applications. Previously it was Amphenol but most of their designs are metallic and subject to corrosion.

Teledyne Impulse and SubConn-McArtney are the go-to for oceanographic instrumentation. They make a wide variety of wet pluggable, wet-mateable and dryside connectors. Their online catalogs will give you a pretty good overview of what they offer and whether this will suit your purpose.
Also McMaster has some surprisingly robust NEMA rated cabling that we've used in situations similar to what you describe. Always worth a quick look at their offerings

I work for a connector company, so I won't make any specific recommendations.
There's so many connector combinations that all the big providers can supply. Metal or plastic housing; different types of conductors; plated terminals or unplated.

I find it strange that the connectors have to be cleaned. Is there dirt/debris that gets down into the connectors? Or do the terminals look blackened after they've been in use for a while?
EDIT: Are these connectors somewhere that exposes them to a lot of vibration? Are you sure they're still sealed? (If they're old, then the seals could be worn out from the salt air and sun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back