Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inroads modeler running slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyk55

Civil/Environmental
Jun 14, 2005
US
I've been using inroads for several years and can't figure out why the modeler is running so slow on a particular project. I've set it to drop a template every 10 feet as I normally do...is there some other hidden setting that would cause the modeler to get bogged down? I've even tried reducing my template to only one layer, running backbone only...nothing has worked. For a three mile project, I might as well take a 20 min coffee break when I run the model.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lot's of things to check.
Do you drop templates at all of the event stations? I usually turn them all off.

Where did your original ground DTM come from? How was the DTM developed? Ground Survey or Aerial Photogrammetry?

How was your horizontal and vertical generated? Was the horizontal draped to the OG and imported as a horizontal and vertical alignment? This is sometimes used for box widening applications.

I have run into problems with all of the above which can lead to very slow modeling.

Without seeing your data I cannot evalulate the exact problem. Perhaps you could e-mail me with further details.

jlukovits@chacompanies.com

I believe I left the event stations on as I normally do. The dtm is from aerial supplemented by ground survey. The horizontal and vertical geometry was created with the horizontal and vertical curve set tools in inroads.

Are you using a decision table or are you letting the template solve your toe of slope? (With cut and fill backbones)

I would try running the model as "backbone only". This may narrow the problem.

I am using a decision table, but I did try running the model "backbone only" before I posted anything on this website. It seemed to run just as slow which really surprised me. I have finished modeling the the project for now unless we have any alignment changes. With the economy being slow, I just haven't had the opportunity to start any new projects from scratch to see if the problem persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back