Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert for machining Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

mep12tya

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2013
IN
Hello,

I am trying to perform a cutting test on on Aluminium workpiece ( cylindrical shaped) on a milling machine using round inserted cutters. The aim is to verify the predicted cutting forces( using a table type dynamometer) when machining a round job using round inserts. Initially I thought of using R300-1032E-PM S40T (Sanvik insert). But the grade is suitable for machining super-alloys. I need an insert of similar geometry which is suitable for machining Aluminium. It would be of real help if someone could suggest such an insert.
I have uploaded the images of the cutter and also the test setup.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The second image is of a milling cutter carrying two round inserts, suitable for generating a planar face, or generating an internal fillet, or for increasing the bore of an existing short hole, but not suitable for plunging or for milling a vertical face.

The first image makes no sense in that context.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'round job', or how that cutter could be of much use on a round bar.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back