Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert multiple instances of component

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarg

Industrial
Dec 14, 2001
Greetings,

I am having a hard time with this one. If I am in an assembly with random bolt holes, not a pattern. All holes get the same 1/4-20 bolt. Is there a way to drag the bolt into position other than to mate each one individually? It gets tiring.

Thanks,

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can try to set Mate References on your hardware. That way when you drag them in, they will mate easier.

And you can try Component Patterns, you just have to give distances to each hole. Depending on how much hardware you have, it may be better to go this route. This way, you only insert 1 instance of your similar hardware, which will make things easier down the road (less computer intense) when you assemblies start to get bigger. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Sounds like you need SW Toolbox! If you don't already have it? If you do have it and you have made your part correctly, you can use "Smart Fastners". What I mean by making your part correctly is, the holes must be from a Derived Sketch.

If you want I can send you and example of a derived sketch part. By doing this and having SW Toolbox all you have to do is:

1) Pick one hole
2) Then Pick Insert Smart Fastners
3) Pick the bolt
4) Choose your specs for the bolts and OK it.

Works pretty darn good. [pipe] Otherwise I think you may need write a small VB app to mate your bolts to the part. If your looking for a quick and automated way of doing it.

I hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

You could take a look into shetch patterns in your parts. Sketch patterns were pretty much created for random patterns. The nice thing about utilizing patterns is the ability to populate the pattern in the assembly. If you go to the help in SW and type in patterns then pick sketch driven you will see a BBJT CSWP

Sorry about the last reply. I must of hit enter or something that submitted it before I was finished. I ment Sketch pattern not Shetch pattern. To finish off the last sentence in my last reply......you will see a good example.
Adding things like patterns to your models up front will make asssembly life a whole lot easier. BBJT CSWP

I have two ways to do this. One is a macro that runs in Excel. Other designers build points in Cadkey which represent components. I import Cadkey.cdl files to Excel which become the xyz coordinates. I then run an Excel macro which places the tools into the assembly. It is a proprietary application, so you will have to build your own.
The other frequently used method is to make holes in my parts to be patterns. I put in one seed hole in a part, then repeat it as a pattern. I color the initial hole red so I can find it in the assembly.
I mate a fastener to the initial hole, then use component/pattern/existing to add the rest. There are some limits on this which you will discover. Mostly you can't make a pattern of a pattern, and a few other details. It does speed up things a lot.

Crashj 'screw this' Johnson

Scott is right.

SW Toolbox is perfect for your application. Smart Fasteners is perfect for this. Use it! If you dont have yet, buy it!

You can write a macro too, but this is much more complicaded.

Hope that helps.

PS: Hey Scott, I saw your page. It is very cool. I take one or two parts and one example in excel. And the picture of the car, it is very beatifull too!

Yes Toolbox was ment for this, but with the errors I have run into with toolbox I would be worried about it. Plus I can do it my way like 10 time faster than toolbox. Here is what you do. Use holewizard to insert you C'bore or Tap Wich ever you can put in the most with. I use holewizard to put in as much as I can. Then put in one screw in the Primary hole. You can tell which one that is by clicking on the holewiz feature and expanding it to see the sketches the bottom sketch is the revolve sketch click that and you will see it in the drawing window. Now you have one screw in the Primary holewiz hole. Now...Insert>Component Pattern. The default option is "Use an existing feature pattern" Thats the one you want hit "Next". Now "seed component" will be the screw. "pattern feature" will be the Holewiz feature. "Finish" Pretty dam easy and much faster than smart fastener.

Your errors are probably because you didn't make the part correctly to begin with. You have to use Derived sketches for the Toolbox to work correctly. Once you get the part made correctly, all you have to do is pick a single face and the type of fasteners you want and ok it. When making a derived sketch it is really pretty simple, after you practice it a couple times. Besides by using the Toolbox, if you want to go back and add a nut or couple washers to the fasteners it is easy to do. Just RMB the fastener and choose the new style or any additions to the fasteners you may have.

As for your option on being faster than smart fasteners, I disagree. I used to feel the same way as you do now, till I sat down and figured out how to use smart fasteners.

I don't know exactly what you’re doing to get errors, but you have to remember this. (You may already know this, but it is important for others reading this to know about it) When using SW it is very important to decide on how your going start, & build it before you actually begin. Because that is usually the biggest thing that everyone forgets to do and it eventually leads to errors later. I know this because I have been teaching myself how to use SW since it came out. Even with my CSWP Certification, I still have to keep up with the new features SW adds in every revision.

[peace]

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

Really easy solution to this problem.....

First... The pattern for the bolts to follow MUST be made using the hole wizard. The rest is gravy...

Second... Mate the first bolt into the first location specified in your hole wizard pattern...

Third... Insert a componet pattern with your first bolt as a the item to copy and the hole wizard pattern as the pattern to copy.....Presto...

I've used this method for 20 to 30 bolts, screws, pins etc. at a time and it has never failed.

Excellent! All good solutions. I like using the hole pattern idea per meintsi's response. It works like a charm and is very economical.

Thanks for all of the positive input.

Steve

Hi Folks...

You can do this in SolidWorks 2001Plus SP2.
Ctrl select all the circular edges (holes) that you want a fastener in, the on the Toolbox tab, right click on the fastener you would like to insert and select the 'Insert into assembly' option....

Hope this helps,
Joy

Steve,

If you have a patterned set of holes and you insert the component into one of those holes in the patten you can populate the rest of the holes by using the INSERT/COMPONENT PATTERN command and select "use an existing feature pattern (derived)" option. Select the bolt as your seed component, and select the inside face of one of the instances of the holes in the pattern and SWX will fill all of the instances within that pattern with the bolt you've selected.

Hope that helps Regards,
Jon
jgbena@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back