Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Insert new component 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleksandar81

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2014
BA
Is it possible to insert new component in to an assembly without selecting plane or surface; I want to avoid making in place mate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Short answer, No.

You can make a new part save it and insert a blank part into an assembly. I would mate it before I started making any changes. because what would be the point of doing it like this without first mating it. Because if you don't mate it you might as well make a new part in the assembly with an "inplace" mate and just remove it later. I usually do that Remove it later and move my sketch over to 0,0.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

What version are you on?

In the current version, if you insert a part without a surface or plane selected, it just gets dropped in 'fixed'. If you right click and float your new part, there are no mates.

I understand..

but if you insert a new part into an assembly, and don't click a plane or surface, no in-place mate is created. The part is fixed.

Right click -> float and the new part is not mated in any way.

Your question isn't clear. Are you creating a new part in the context of an assembly, or are you inserting an existing part into an assembly? You can accomplish what you wish either way.

Looks like if you hit "Esc" while the green checkmark is displayed and waiting for you to select something, it will just drop the new part fixed at the origin.

handleman said:
Looks like if you hit "Esc" while the green checkmark is displayed and waiting for you to select something, it will just drop the new part fixed at the origin.

You don't even have to do that, just click somewhere other than existing geometry.

If I hit esc new part will not be inserted.

Looks like this is the only solution or del in place mate after selecting plane/surface.It's annoying to do that every time,anyway @jgKRI I'm using ver 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back