Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSERT PARTS IN ASSEMBLIES 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotiron

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2007
Hi all,
While inserting parts into assemblies I find I cannot drag. First inserted part is fixed, but subsequent parts are not shown as fixed in the feature manager. They cannot be moved. I can mate them however?

Sw 2008
sp3.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CBL
First thing I checked. Does not allow drag.
After I single mate the part, I can drag along remining axes of freedom.

Strange!

I have no idea if this will work, but;
Make a copy of your settings with the wizard, switch the options to the Default settings and reboot. Test if a newly inserted part can be moved.

If it works, then change other settings to suit or re-apply the old settings and re-test.

When/if you get it working again make new copy of the settings for the next time it misbehaves.

[cheers]

Must be your settings. I am able to drag parts (after the first) when inserted into an assembly. I have the "move components by dragging" option checked. We copied over our settings from SW2007 to get rid of flyout toolbars.

finisher SW2008 SP4.0

In the assy tool bar, use the move icon:
anllol.jpg

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 08
ctopher's home (updated Aug 5, 2008)
ctopher's blog
SolidWorks Legion

finisher said:
We copied over our settings from SW2007 to get rid of flyout toolbars.

If you mean the 'S' menu and the LMB activated Context Menu, you are missing out. At first they were annoying, but after getting used to them, most people actually found them to boost efficiency.

[cheers]

CBL,

Perhaps in the minority my codesigner and I simply prefer the old UI where all the icons you need are simply there without resorting to the "S" key or flyouts. IMO the loss in screen real estate is an insignificant sacrifice, especially if one is designing on the newer wide format, large, flat panel displays.

finisher SP2008 SP 4.0

It's not the loss of real estate, it's the amount of mouse movement required to get to those icons.

With suitable customisation, the 'S' key and context menu can eliminate the need for any menu bars scattered around the screen. The 'S' shortcut and context menus create the flyouts wherever the pointer is, so much less movement is required ... especially if one is designing on the newer wide format, large, flat panel displays. [smile]

Old dogs really can learn new tricks. [poke]

[cheers]

Unfortunately the trick is usually "Play Dead." [smile]

Finisher, I initially dragged my feet on the new UI as well, but due to the issues I was having with the instability of the toobars I decided to give her a try. I'm glad I did. I currently have no toolbars enabled and rely solely on the "S" key and the context pop-ups. I wish we were given the ability to customize the pop-ups, but I guess we'll save that battle for another day. My speed and efficiency of design has increased. I don't really notice it until I drive someone else's rig. Great googly-moogly! I forever looking for toolbars or mashing keys that don't have shortcuts attached to them. Give it a try. With the copy settings wizard, you can always go back.

Dan

The "S" key is the shortcut key. Smash it once. a menu will pop up that is specific to the environment that you are in (part, sketches, assemblies, etc.). If you right-click on it you can drag and drop any buttons that you want to show up or disappear. Check the Help. It's one of the dandiest ideas they've come up with in a while. It works out such that even if you don't have any other keyboard shortcuts, you can essentially have all of the toolbars that you want pop up where the mouse is so that you don't have to look all over Hell's creation for your revolve feature.

Dan

This reminds me of politics. I recently announced my choice for VP and suddenly discovered a world of opposition! Sorry I digress….. A fact is this old dog loves to learn new tricks. I have tried the flyout toolbars with and without the “S” key “boost”. Please allow me to reiterate – If I’m only designing on my PC (which is the case) and I know where my bountiful quantity of tool icons reside (which I do) I feel I am more productive with that UI (non-flyout). I get to access every tool with a single click as opposed to two clicks with the flyout’s and often two clicks + a keystroke if the “S” key is invoked. Guys, it simply comes down to personal preference, right? Hey, I’m a stick shift fan. Does that make me old hat? Ask me what I drive.

finisher SW2008 SP4.0

Back on the "S" shortcut.
A great feature(opinion). I've moved all my commonly used tools to this menu and it does lessen mouse movement. I can only get it on part models however. Assembly models only call the standard shortcut with the "S" key(without my added tools).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back