Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting a photo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarecrow55

Mechanical
May 6, 2005
GB
Can you insert a jpeg or bitmap into a SW drawing.
I'm using 2006 and when I try to insert an object it just gives me a box with a ref no. in and acts like a hyperlink. I would like to have the photo seen on the drawing.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the command is insert sketch picture, look in the sketch toolbar for it.
james

Sorry James, that seems to only let me insert it into a Part & not a Drawing. All the relevent icons are grayed out when I go in the drg.
I tried inserting it as you said but in the Part, this wouldn't let me make a drawing so I inserted a little model also, and my picture dissapeared.
I must be doing something wrong.

You can insert a bitmap file. Insert, Object, Create from file or Browse. Just make sure you have display as icon unchecked. Photoshop files work as well, but .jpg files do not.

Rob,

Devon’s solution woks but, the object that is inserted appears to be a word doc, also it not easy to resize or edit the image once it is in the SW drawing. I did not see an improvement in the image quality ether.

This is how I do it. I open the image file in an image editing program (photoShop, corel, etc). I then "copy" the image, go to my SolidWorks drawing, click in the graphics area and "paste". The image will appear with drag handles for resizing. Frequently the image appears fuzzy in th SolidWorks drawing (on screen) but prints very clear on paper.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 6/05/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0

Never have a problem with this... Insert\Object\Jpeg - you can't have a Jpeg saved into a Word doc though. It must be an image saved from a direct Image type of software (MS paint ,etc...) Also you have to be sure Windows will recognize the file type or you will just get an Icon.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

The only thing I do not like about pasting a .bmp onto a dwg, it leaves the outline. It doesn't print it, but it's there if I do a screen shot or save as .jpg.
Scott,
You can't save a jpg into a Word doc? I do it all the time.
In SW 2006, I can't insert a jpg, only a bmp.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

Rockguy ... THANK YOU, finally I can insert images into a drawing format ... not that I have ever needed to, but if it can be done I want to be able to do it. [smile]

I know others have never had a problem doing this, but I have never been able to. I have tried every "image association" suggestion that has been suggested in previous threads to no avail. Although I just found out that in SW06 I can use Insert > Object succesfully with BMP files, but still not other image formats. Strange.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Here is a list of the file types that will apper as an image or contents displayed when Insert > Object is used on a drawing in SW2006. The display can also be changed by preselecting the object then Edit > Object you can check Display Content, Display as Icon and Reset size. The list is from the Insert > Object dialog box.

Adobe Photoshop Image
Bitmap Image
DWGEditor Drawing
Microsoft Graph Chart
Microsoft Office Excel Chart
Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet
Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation (the first slide)
Microsoft PowerPoint Slide
Microsoft Word Document
Microsoft Word Picture
Paintbrush Picture

The list you see in the Insert > Object dialogue box is comprised of whatever OLE compliant programs are installed on the computer. My list shows 33 items.

[cheers]

ctopher,

I know you can insert a jpeg into a Word doc... thats not what I was saying. I was saying if you insert an image into a word doc, then place that word doc into SW SW sees it as a wrod doc, not an image.

In 06 I can insert a jpg, bmp, tiff, just about anything I want into SW and have not had any problems with it. It might not list it in the "Create New" but I do get the option to use from file. I do get under "Create New" "Paint shop pro" which is what I make all my images in.

CBL,

If you windows OS can recognize the files and has a external app to open them with it will allow you to place them into SW.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Glad it works for you CBL. This is the only method that works for me as well.

Rob Rodriguez CSWP
President: Northern
Vermont SolidWorks User Group
(updated 6/05/06)
SW 2006 SP 4.0

Scott ... a slight correction to your statement ... "If you windows OS can recognize the files and has a external app to open them with it will should allow you to place them into SW."

Trouble is it doesn't [curse] and for some mystical reason never has. [banghead]

[cheers]

If you make the picture a "DECAL" and attach it to the model it will automatically shw up in the drawing as well. This works well for me. My 0.02

Bloodclot

What do you see when the Pillsbury Dough Boy bends over?

Doughnuts

MichaelWeb74 said:
Devon’s solution woks but, the object that is inserted appears to be a word doc
After inserting the image into a Word document, click on the image and select Edit > Copy then click in the SW drawing and select Edit > Paste. You should then have just the image, not the whole Word document.

[cheers]

Thanks for all the replies, I#m afraid I can't try anything at the moment I'm getting my hands dirty building some parts. That's the trouble with small firms, especially at holiday times, you design it, draw it then build the thing. Still you can see the headache the fitters etc go thro'. if you leave any implied info off the drgs. You think to yourself next time I'll make sure all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. It just doesn't pay to rush things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back