Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting Layers into SW Drawing/.DWG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott4tg

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
US
Is there a way that you can create a dimensioned drawing (DWG) from a part in SW that can have multiple layers in the drawing that can be turned on or off as needed. For instance. We create die drawings that are sent to our extruding company. They may require certain dimensions for what they do but we have other dimensions for say, QC department, fabrication dept and so on for what we need. We don't want one drawing with ALL the dimensions on it and we don't want have to create a different drawing for every department. There is a feature in AutoCad that does this but I can't figure it out in SW.

Thanks in advance!

Scott4tg
Scott
SW2007 SP4.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW Part files cannot be exported to DWG files. You can put the part into a drawing and it can be exported out to DWG files.

The part itself won't be on a layer, but the items you add to it can be on a layer.

If you export the file out, you can use a color Map tool for the DWG export and it will export the certain types of lines to a layer.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

There are layers in SW drawings. The best way to access them is through the "Layer" toolbar. If the toolbar is not showing, RMB in the toolbar portion of the SW window and select it from the list.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Hi Scott;

I would do this using font mapping during the save to DWG from a SW drawing.

My customers are consulting engineers and I usually create custom font maps to replicate the autocad layer standards required for each customer.

You can set the font map up so that one kind of die dimensions are all on one layer, which can be turned on or off as required in the autocad drawing.

After opening drawings in autocad, I use Qselect to refine the layers a little, since Solidworks cant set linetypes and colors to bylayer, which I prefer.

I would be happy to send you one of my fontmap files, in case you would like to modify it to your own uses.

Best Regards

Adrian Dunevein
AAA Drafting Services

SW2006 Office Pro. SP4.1

As for Fontmap files I am not aware of this. SW uses fonts from windows and its not like Autocad where it has its own fonts.

The Custom map file in SW you can set layers from SW to DWG/DXF in colors layers and line types. Please look at the help in SW and try saving out a SW Drawing to DWG/DXF and use a customer map file. it will take some practice on your part to figure this process out. There is no real easy way to explain it. I know you have to simply set the location and give it a name when your in the options of the save as DWG/DXF.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back