Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insertion point

Status
Not open for further replies.

John188

Civil/Environmental
Jul 8, 2016
CN
I want to put a slab element over the beam. It can be done using Insertion point in SAP but i am not able to do it ETABS. How can we do it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Etabs nomenclature for slab elements is the cardinal point. Beam elements is insertion point. said:
Thanks for the reply. Though i assign the cardinal point as either top, middle or bottom. I don't understand why it doesn't show any changes in the extrude view unlike in SAP2000

Insertion point shall generally be avaoided as by using it axial forces due to eccentricities show up in beams. said:
i have different slab and beam sections in the model and i want to put a slab just above the beam.

By default both the slab and beam have insertion point set to top, which aligns the top of slab with top of beam and storey level (if drawn at a defined storey level).

What behaviour are you seeing by default?

The insertion points are relative to the plane they are drawn at (i.e. the storey level).

So if you draw the beam at an insertion point of centre, as the slab is also drawn at the storey level, it can only align with the floor, not the beam. The slab cannot be made to aligned with the top of the beam if the beam is set to center.

The only way to align them analytically is to set both to an insertion point of top. this will align the top of beam with top of slab as desired at the storey level where they are drawn.

Thanks for you reply. I had followed all these steps but in the 3D view changing the insertion point doesnot show any changes for slab section so i am not sure about it. In SAP2000, i am able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back