Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inside out, rigorous design of distillation column 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taksan

Chemical
Jun 26, 2015
US
I was wondering if anyone can direct me how to to describe energy balance to solve "inside-out" method of rigorous distillation column calculation.

Inner-Loop iteration variables as ln(Sb,j)=ln(Kb,j Vj/Lj) is written in "Separation Process Principles 3rd ED" in page 403, eq(10-101). How to rewrite eq.(10-84) including the iteration variable?

where Sb,j = Stripping Factor of the base component; Kb,j=Equilibrium constant of the base component at j-stage temperature; Vj and Lj=Total Vapor and Liquid Flow rate at Stage j.

I know some simulators are able to design distillation columns with rigorous method and I've been actually using ASPEN. I just want to know the detail calculation steps.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a detailed example manual calc for the IO method in Perry Chem Engg Handbook - see page 13-51 in the 7th edn. See if this helps - its been a long time since I worked on these manual rigorous distillation simulations. The I-O method is a commonly used simulation routine in Simsci - Pro/ II also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back