Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insight -- LinkFixupMgr.exe Exception Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncarlblom

Mechanical
May 6, 2010
US
I'm receiving an application popup for LinkFixupMgr.exe quite often. It comes up if I try to run "Update Secure Links" from the Insight server, and it is also waiting to greet me on the same server, seemingly each morning when I get to work. Here is the error:

LinkFixupMgr.exe Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x0096ab9b.

My cache and log folders are in the same location on the Insight server. The cache folder is empty, the log folder is not. I've attached the log file "InsightLinkFixupUserLog#####" As for cache location, each of my users utilizes their own local cache for speed considerations, so I'm not sure that my cache is pointed in the right place.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We're using V20 on a Windows Server 2003 running WSS 2.0. I'm wondering how important this is? What purpose does the LinkFixupMgr serve?

When Insight depended on the path for link resolution and the SEDocID second, it saved time because if the path was no longer correct, it would revert to the sedocid only after a timeout occurred and it did this for every link that it couldn't resolve using the path.

To eliminate the performance hit, the LinkFixUpMgr service would use the event sink logs to find out what had changed (moves/renames) and would fix the paths in batch, usually during low usage times (scheduled by the admin).

Now that paths are not used at all for link resolution, it is no longer necessary for it to run.

Ken G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back