Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insight Problems with Standard Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncarlblom

Mechanical
May 6, 2010
US
We are running SE V20 with an Insight Server on Windows Server 2003. Please keep in mind that I am not an engineer, just the Sys Admin in charge of implementing Insight.

To prevent duplicate file names for the Standard Parts in Insight, I have followed the SE documentation to setup Standard Parts to use Insight for generated parts and the working folder. I have added the standard parts to the database. The SAC file is on our file server.

The problem arises when I try to release documents that use the standard parts. If I use the LifeCycle Assistant to release a part and have the "Apply Status to Linked Document" checked (for the large .dft and .asm files that we are using this saves a lot of time), Insight will try to release all of the parts linked to that part, including the Standard Parts which is where the problem comes in.

Upon releasing these parts, I invariably get errors relating to Standard Parts where the SEStatus is set to "Release Requested". I know that this is not a valid status, but I'm wondering how to prevent it. This error causes files linked to those files to error out with invalid SEStatus errors as well. Manually changing the status back to "Available" on those parts fixes all of these errors, but it is a headache when we sometimes have up to 50 Standard Parts on one large assembly.

In my understanding of Standard Parts, those parts should stay in the Standard Parts location on Insight so that they are available for use on other parts, assemblies, etc. Right now, even despite the errors, the parts remain in the Standard Parts Library, and we are not moving them to the "Released" document library on Insight, but keeping them in the Standard Parts library. Is this standard procedure?

Additionally, should the standard parts already have a SEStatus set to "Released" so that they cannot be moved, or should they be "Available"? Most of them are set to "Available", so if they do need to be set to "Released," is there a simple way to do this without having to go through the thousands of standard parts that we have in Insight?

Finally, does anyone have any ideas why we continue to get the errant "Release Requested" SEStatus on Standard Parts linked to the upper-level parts that we are releasing? Perhaps this is all related.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back