Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insights about UL pov on non-FR components in a rated pkg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelt

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2003
CA
First, sorry for the cryptic subject line.

We design and manufacture enterprise IP imaging products the materials for which "need" to be UL94 HB as a minimum. You will know that in the case of resins, their FR rating is qualified with a specimen thickness. In essence UL/CSA requires that the section thickness of any parts made from a rated material be at least that thk.

We need to use a particular, thin (0.020") flocked rigid film material that solves an awkward optical issue we are having. There is no FR rating for the material (PS rigid film with acrylic flock). The material is die-cut and bonded to the inside wall of a rated plastic body. I link to a sketch in which you will note that the potential energy sources are separated from the non-rated material. Obtaining a rated material in our quantities is not realistic.

My question is "What certification experiences can you share about small mass non-rated components inside an enclosure made with suitably rated materials?"

Thanks for any insights offered!
Nigel

"You will master any feeling of inadequacy you may be having"
....from my fortune cookie @ the buffet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back