Inspection of thermal oil heater internal / external

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmengineer

Chemical
Dec 4, 2013
GB
Hello,

I've got a job coming up where I'm performing an inspection of a thermal oil heater as part of routine maintenance checking

The heater is horizontal 1500kW gas fed, 2.5 years old, with thermal fluid being pumped around the internal pipe coil

The gas line to the burner will be disconnected and re-connected by others

I've got gasket materials from the heater manufacturer so that I can re-seal the door upon completion

There is a calibration technician checking that the differential pressure switches and chimney temperature transmitters are within tolerance

As far as the inspection is concerned - I'm planning on

i) Visually inspect the elements around the door to ensure there are no obvious defects
ii) Climb inside the open heater and visually inspect the external surfaces of the heater coils - looking for flame erosion, cracks
iii) Visually inspect the pipe penetrations through the shell wall to ensure that there is no localised cracking or other visual defects
iv) Visually inspect the heater shell, refractory to ensure there are no visual defects
v) Visually inspect the external heater environment to ensure there are no defects
vi) Visually inspect the chimney to ensure there is no corrosion
vii) Take photos of everything as part of the survey document package

Has anyone done this / similar job before where they would be able to advise if I'm missing something?

I've been told not to expect much in the way of coking on the tube surfaces as it's a relatively new heater that's running on gas - comments on this would be appreciated?

The equipment I'm planning on using is

Head torch
Mobile phone camera
Hard hat
Safety gloves
Safety glasses
Steel toed protective footwear
Protective overalls
Basic hand tools (if required)

Any guidance on the above would be much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi ,
Your safety requirement is weak !
what about work permit?
What about confined space entry permit?
What about working at height permit
What about isolation of the equipment ? (blinds)
What about O2 continuous monitoring ?

Note : make sure you are not alone during the inspection in case something is going wrong.

My view

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back