Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inspection Requirements of Fin Fan Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNicastro

Petroleum
Apr 25, 2003
US
I was asked the other day "what are the inspection requirements for fin fan coolers"? I responded that they were ASME Sec. VIII pressure vessels and the requirements are the same. My question is, Are they considered pipeline components and not subject to the same requirements? Are they subject to the same requirements as pressure vessels? where would I look to find this information? Any help would be appreciated. I am in the field 90% of the time and it has not allowed me to look this up and get the issue taken care of. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Being square-cornered without any stay-rods, and lacking any developed formula to calculate MAWP, ASME has pretty well ignored them.

I inspect them to API-510 just as if they could be calculated, and give the header-boxes a Tmin of 80% of the original nominal. The finned tubes are essentially imposible to inspect without using IRIS, one slow foot at a time, so they get "benign neglect". We are very lucky that most of our products are pipe preservatives, not agressive in the slightest to stainless steel.

I stand [sit?] corrected. ASME Sect VIII Div-1 Appendix 13 gives equations to soplve for maximum allowable stress. With a little algebra, they can give Tmin.

The header boxes of the Fin Fan Coolers are subject to the requirements of ASME Sec. VIII as these are the parts being "Stamped".

Overall inspection requirements of the coolers can be found in API 661 which enlists them in a good detail.

Several Client specifications are also a good reference for finding out the inspection requirements.

I hope I'm not too late with the reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back