Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inspection Techniques for GRP Piping in Services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GL431

Chemical
Aug 22, 2003
We operate some GRP piping in oil field service. The GRP is for handling of salt water as well as fresh water. We do not know of anything to look for by way of a structured inspection plan for this piping. I have enquired from a few manufacturers and contractors and the answer was unanimously "don't worry". (From metal piping we know, if we do not worry, we will soon have many leaks.) Does anybody know of anything we should be looking for? Soon we will have 100km of GRP (burried) carrying salt water at 40 barg. By then I have to know what we should be looking for.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GL431 I'm sure the GRP line designers knew what to watch out for but heres a couple of points. Have you flanged joints - - make sure they are torqued correctly - - -If they are field wrapped make sure they are done correctly. I seen so many ruined joints by excessive force Make sure shut off valves are slow acting and not cause water hammer. GRP has high expansion coefficient - - - can the branches move if they want to .
Good luck. CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back