Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inspection tools for 0.15mm scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mit95102920

Industrial
Sep 11, 2008
CN
Hi!

Can somebody help me look for the best inspection tools to use to measure a scratch (on metal sheet surface) with as little as 0.15mm. length?

Someone suggested like a template (don't know if its a plastic) but it's a transparent tool that serves as a gage.
Does anybody know how is it called? or if you have pictures that you can share, so that we would know which one to buy?

Thanks in advance for you reply...

best regards! ^o^

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you are looking for a glass scale. for your measurement size you need one that has multiple marks of varying thickness as opposed to just being laid out like a ruler.
You might search for optical comparators to get an idea of the types of things available.

Luck is a difficult thing to verify and therefore should be tested often. - Me

We use a Proscope with dial caliper jaws or something else with a known distance, diameter, etc.
This let’s us make a pretty good estimate.

There is also Proscope software. A bit fussy but greater accuracy. The 30X lens works well at this level and has two kinds of light sources which can really be handy.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Here as some glass scales as posted above bycarnage1. You are talking big bucks if need a calibrated/certified sale or a resolution better the O.1mm

Shop microscopes

I think you should consider this type shop microscope it has a resolution of 0.01mm. The optics are not of the quality as the more expensive ones but as they always say, good enough for government work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back