Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Install shell tube exchanger vertical

Status
Not open for further replies.

evdbroek

Chemical
Jun 16, 2005
US
Is it possible to install all shell and tube exchangers vertical. To save space I would like to mount 3 exchangers (1x CEP, 1x AEM, 1x BEV) vertical instead of horizontal.

I noticed that the drain and vent nozzles have a wrong location. But is it mechanically possible? What are other points I have to look after?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can install shell-tube heat exchanger vertically if it is manufactured for this installation. First it depends what is flowing through the shell/tubes (water, steam, etc).
It is the shell side that is most effected. There are baffles in the shell that direct the fluid in certain directions, and prevent pooling if it is steam. These would necessarily change when in the vertical position, as well as the placement for the inlet, outlet and vents.
So, bottom line is yes shell and tubes can be vertical but they must be made that way.

Rare but Yes, shell & tube type HE can be "built" for vertical installation. I have seen and worked on a vertical exchanger during a shutdown. As Joesteam says and I wish to add to what he says is, the exchanger must also be "thermally designed" for vertical operation.

It can and has been done. However, it would be easier to help you evaluate your situation if you would share what it is that you will have on the shell/tube sides of the Hx.

rmw

Comeback with more process details as requested by rmw and add to that the materials of construction.

Their are some very important caveats on the design and operation of such exchangers.

The majority of our exchangers (approximately 100) are vertical.

evd..

More information...please...What are your liquids ?

If the heat exchangers are equipped with saddles, are the saddles designed for gravity in the new configuration ?

As a general rule of thumb, if the heat exchangers are liquid to liquid, you can probably get away with it...

However, if there is phase change(evaporation or condensation) the answer is probably no....

Maintenance access and tube replacement are other issues for you to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back