Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation Manager can't find mapped drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarv

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2007
US
Since getting a new computer (clean install of SW), I've been having problems updating. Both the Installation Manager, and the background downloader will download the updates, but the install never completes. I get an error saying that the installation manager can't find drive "Z:". Drive Z: is mapped to the "My Documents" folder which is stored on our network server. (Our "My Documents" folder is not stored locally). If I try to repair the install using the downloaded SP, I get the same error. I don't think the problem is SW specific, as I have the same problem with updating Adobe Reader. Has anyone seen a similar problem? I'm not sure what OS we have on our server, but I know it is x32 and our workstations are x64. Could that be an issue? Anyone have any insight?

Joe
SW Premium 2011 SP0.0
Dell T3500 Xeon W3505 2.4Ghz
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chris,

It's set up that way intentionally at our company (policy). Everyones "My Documents" folder is a network share named "username$". Everyones Z: drive is mapped to \\server\username$. (I don't know why we use the mapped drive in addition to/instead of the UNC path.) I can log on to any computer/workstation at our location and have access to my own personal "My Documents" folder. No one else can access it unless they are logged on with my username/password, so I don't share anything that is stored there.

Top,

Our server was replaced and renamed ([banghead])about a year ago. When things like that happen, I found it easier to re-map a drive from "old server" to "new server" than trying to find and change every instance of the UNC path. Just my opinion.

Joe
SW Premium 2011 SP0.0
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

FWIW, our XP Pro x32 work-stations were set up the same way, I didn't have any problems upgrading SW2011 to SP3.0 on it. I didn't see this problem until I got the new Win7 Pro x64 work-station. Now I have the problem with both SW and Adober Reader X.

Joe
SW Premium 2011 SP0.0
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

This appears to be a User Account Control issue. The installer elevates/runs as the administrator account, which uses a different login token. It can't access the My Documents (a shell folder) because it is username/login specific.

I've found a couple work arounds. I'll ask my IT Manager which one he feels is best.

Joe
SW Premium 2011 SP0.0
6.0GB Win7 Pro x64
ATI FirePro V5800

From my recent experience with the installation manager for 2011, I think you can choose what it uses for a temp directory. This would allow you to select something local.

If you cannot find it in the prompts in sldIM.exe, the folders appear to be stored in the registry at:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\IM

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back