Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Installation of Magnetic Flow Meter 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjmgd977

Electrical
May 17, 2009
US
I have a situation where a client wants to installa a flow meter horizontally at about a 20 degree angle. My suspicion is that it will not work because I was of the impression that the meter needed a laminar flow.

The meter is measuring raw water flow in a waste water treatement plant.

Please advise.

Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mag flow meters can usually be mounted anywhere from horizontal to vertical. You do always need to install them in a straight section of pipe, at least about 5 pipe diameters downstream from any elbows or valves.
If the pipe does not typically run full, you can pipe it in, with a U or V shaped arrangement to create a low spot where the pipe does run full.
The best idea would be to talk to the people that make the flow meters, and discuss your application.

EVERY magmeter manufacturer has a page in its manual similar to the one below with recommended installation practices.

Note that angled installation is an example, with the requirement that the pipe be full.

Experience shows that if installed on an angle with flow downwards, EVERY problem with the magmeter will be blamed on "partially full pipe".

2coltp5.jpg

A slope is OK provided the flow is up, not down.
Orient it so the electrodes are across the pipe, not vertical.
I have installed a mag with flow in the downward direction (vertical pipe)where it was the only choice however the signal from it is eratic. I think what happens is gas bubbles entrained in the fluid travel up while the fluid travels down and every now and then a bubble sits at the electrode disrupting the signal.
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back