Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installation of soft, collapsible soil in triaxial device!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patgeotech

Geotechnical
Jan 20, 2003
I have been investigating the possibilities of freeze-thaw testing of a uniform material (milled material) with the idea of modeling its soil behaviour (stress path behaviour), but I'm having problems with regards to: How best to undertake such testing? and what are the consequences to freezing the samples in order to place in the triaxial device (i.e. what damage is done to the internal soil structure? and how can it be prevented?
I would appreciate anyones suggestions??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frost action usually expands the soil as the water expands. If it is a cohesionless material, it could probably be returned close to the orginal state under a reconsolidation load. Cohesive soils may rupture and have a significantly lower cohesion. For cohesionless soils, we used to recompact the sample on the pedestal,holding out the membrane with a vaccum. Once the sample was complete, the piston was set on top of the sample and the membrane was sealed to the piston. (There is a porus stone top and bottom. The vaccum is switched to flow through the sample(via the saturation lines). The chaber is then placed, sealed and flooded- SLOWLY. Once the chamber is flooded, it is pressurized to a point where the vaccum can be turned off. Once the vaccum is turned off, the sample is saturated until there is a good B parameter and then the cell pressure and verticle load are adjusted for the test. Always keep the cell pressure ahead of the verticle load. It is tricky until you get a feel for it, so plan on a couple of practice runs first

GOOD LUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back