Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a TXV on a set of new coils that has a fixed orfice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer406

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2006
US
Can you install a TXV on a set of new coils like the all aluminum coils you can get with a Goodman unit? The best I can tell.... they only come with a "check flowrater" which upon googling that.... It is just a fixed orfice. I really want the TXV but would like to consider a goodman split system......

I assume if I do put a TXV valve in.... the entire warranty is null and void on my entire split system.... no?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The flowrater is a fixed metering device. It is designed to drop the pressure from design head pressure to design suction pressure. If you install a TX valve in series with it. You have two devices in series that were both designed to drop pressure.

If you can remove the flowrater orifice, the txv should work fine. if not... stick with the manufacturers design.

I ended up just going with the American Standard equipment which comes with the TXV. I appreciate the design of the TXV as opposed to the fixed orfice. Once I read about both of them, I knew which one I had to have on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back