Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Installing AB Studio 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfman

Mechanical
Oct 21, 2003
US
In the past I have always installed all of my AB software (I use both RSL500 & 5K) in, and ran on a Virtual machine, specifically VMWare. However, with the release of Studio 5000 I am wondering if I shouldn't forget the Virtual Machine (VM has changed their free license to non-commercial use only) and install directly on my computer. Opinions, thoughts, issues, etc are invited... Thanks in advance.

"To be or not to be, that is the question" - William Shakespeare via Hamlet

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oh, should have said that I have been using VMWare Player and would have to upgrade to VMWare Workstation. I have a laptop running Windows 7. I also have to use Modicon Unity Pro and have also had GE's Proficy installed - which really messed up boot times, but that is another topic.

"To be or not to be, that is the question" - William Shakespeare via Hamlet

As long as you dont program any application before version 20 should be ok. Otherwise you still need the VMware (assuming your using this for XP windows enviroment) for earlier versions of RSlogix 5000. Best look at what the software you have and what operatiing systems it works on. Usually websites that have the software you are discussing will tell you that straight out.

VirtualBox or other similar platform won't do the trick?

I'm told that theres a limited support (i.e. support for it disappears the same time as WinXP) Microsoft platform for a WinXP specific VM available. Your luck with its use will probably largely depend on what your IT arrangements are, but it also may be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back