Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

instrument air package 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihuoma2

Chemical
Nov 11, 2005
NG
hi guys
thanks for the other day, i have another question today pls i was asked to replace the existing instrument air package on 2 platforms and replace the service gas receiver on the other platfom , this new package will supply both instrument and utility air . the equpiments i will be working with are 2x100% compressors , 2x100% dryers sets ( each with two towers) a utility air receiver and an instrument air receiver mounted on a single lift point skid.please i am a bit confused on how to start and i will also need a link to help me start.
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Define the volumetric flow capacity in terms of normal and maximum. Define the pressure requirements. Define the required outlet air quality in terms of clenliness, dew point, etc. Advise of nasty compounds in the air such as asphaltines, etc. Define the existing space available for the package. Do you want a dew point transmitter in the instrument air? Advise the ambient extremes and norms.

Does the utility air include start-air for big turbines? If so, the package vendor should know of peak short-term demand. How many start over what period?

What utilities are available? 480 vac 60 Hz? Starters included or excluded with the package? PLC to control the sequencing? Common trouble alarms, other monitoring requirements? Offshore paint? What color? You want it when? What documentation? Are there corporate specifications that apply? ... ...

Start with a short list of packagers and review their packages?

John

Good summary John.

I would suggest yes to the dew point analyzer. You don't want water in an IA system.

I would also suggest yes to the PLC. The last IA system we bought came complete with everything on a skid. It worked beautifully. The one we did prior, where we did the PLC programming ourselves, not so good.

I like ihuoma2's idea of separate air receivers for IA and UA. A lot of project managers don't see the need to separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back