Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instrument or method to analyze Si and SiO2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankythebro

Chemical
Feb 6, 2011
TW
Hiii..

I have a powder which consists of Si, SiO2, Fe3O4, FeO and Fe. I really want to analyze the conversion of Si to SiO2. Anybody what kind of instrument or method that i can use to measure the conversion?

Thank you very much for all of the suggestion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at the instruments from Oxford and Innov-X for analysing your material. I think it would be an analysis similar to iron ore.
I would contact both companies to check the feasibility of using there instruments either by rental or using a lab that has the instrument.
I've never used either, but it looks like the Oxford Instrument may better suit your needs.

Rentals:

thank you...

i think this is spectrometry, my powder contains of Si and SiO2, do you think this instrument can check the conversion? I am affraid that this instrument can distinguish the Si from Si and SiO2.

i am grateful if u can reply my answe.

That question would better answered by the instrument manufacturer.
I'm sure it can be done though it may require and extra step in the assay. Putting a little thought into your problem a big question looms, How homogeneous is your material and size of the material. Like a lot materials getting a representative sample is about 60% of the analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back