Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instrumentation amplifier to get discrete DC measurements of AC signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanTheWoo

Electrical
Nov 11, 2002
US
If i'm trying to measure a relatively slow (~1kHz) AC signal. Can I use an instrumentation amplifier to "read" discrete DC signals so they can be latched and sent to a computer for plotting?

The AC signals can vary and are not necessarily sinusoidal. I had one suggestion of using a low pass filter and then having a gain of 0.707 and then just re-creating a sinusoid at the computer. But this will only work on sinusoids and I want the display to accurately reflect the signal being measured

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The instrumentation amp should be the front end of an Analog to Digital converter. This device would then give you a value for the DC voltage at the instant it did the conversion. The microprocessor would read the value of the A/D at some interval thus creating points on a graph to recreate the value. This is a classic digital oscilloscope application.

Yes, this is a digital oscilloscope application. Can you recommend any parts or things to help me make a better design? I was looking at single-chip instrumentation amps and also building my own from op-amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back