Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instrumentation codes and standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

supeing

Industrial
Jun 29, 2005
SD
Dear respectable sir,
i hesitate before submit this thread because i don't know if it's the suitable to this forums or no.
any way i'm new instrument engineer iheard about ISA and API and IEC..... and i want to make private instrument standard for our refinery.
according to what i shall choose the item or it belong to certain country ? or according to what consideration i shall chose the standard to make our private one
also what the difference between standard and code?
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No disrespect intended, but this site is for working engineers to get helpful tips and collaborate their experiences, not a ground-up education alternative. If you are an "instrumentation engineer" and you do not know even these basics about instrumentation, you are beyond the help of a website forum. I suggest you investigate some additional school courses specific to instrumentation.

http:/Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

Hi jraef; respectfully, I am going to make a stab at this because I honestly can't image ANY college curriculum that would address supeing's question. This is one of those giant gaping holes all our schools provide.

If I understand your question correctly supeing, code is generally the requirements of the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) at your location.

Standards are rules that are set up so everyone at a particular place can understand how your particular instruments are utilized and installed.

The word 'standard' of course, can be applied to mean code also because the 'code' is a standard of the AHJ.

A company standard from scratch would be a huge undertaking. You should probably look for, or try to adapt, your company's standard from an existing one or ones.
You could check with the ISA and API and IEC organizations and see if they have 'standards' you can acquire.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

supeing, i dont intend to stop you from asking but with due respect, I guess you have to review or if you have enough time try to have a self study pertaining to your held position background or pre-requisite course before asking such query where it is quite obvious.

Anyway, you are on the right website for this forum.

"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions." -- Charles Steinmetz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back