Instrumentation Loop Checking Standards/Procedures 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weegie

Petroleum
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Hi.
I'm checking a technical spec outlining the work scope for potential construction contractors. The contractor will be responsible for all documentation related to and technical completion of loop checking. (Previous site experience has taught me that most contractors have to have their hands held through a loop check process even when it's in their scope of work.)
I'm looking for any standards etc that can be used to point the contractor in the right direction.
ISA are in the progress of producing Loop Check Procedure Guidlines (ISA 105) and IEC have 62382 with pretty good guidlines which I'm incorporating into our tech spec.
I'm curious to know if anybody has come across any other governing body that has specifications/procedures/guidlines for loop checking ? I checked API etc but, found nothing other than the above mentioned.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PIP PCEDO001 Guideline for Control Systems Documentation includes a few paragraphs that could help.

4.24 Instrument Installation Checkout and Calibration/Configuration Procedure
4.25 Instrument Loop Folders

Weegie
think that instructions and guidelines are not the main key to get the job done. It more for satisfy management and have the paperwork done. In order to have the contractor job done professionally and for getting good control system at the end, paper work is not the key parameter but the professional work of the contractor. In order to achieve it, the CUSTOMER which hire a contractor must have a professional instrument / control engineer either employee or hired inspector that will be on site and will insure the contractor is doing a professional job during installation loop checks and startup.

ilan7

Easier said than done. I have worked both sides of the fence her both as a client rep and as the engineering contractor's rep. Most sub contractors are quite happy to do installation work all day long but when you make them responsible for loop checking the can be at times, a bit reluctant to 'think' for themselves, especially when it comes to look checking as they then have to go and hire techs etc who then need to be told what to do.
Implementing guidlines & standards for the conractor to reference and work by, forces him to run with the ball as he now has no reasons or excuses not to start loop checking. Construction work is all about creating extra's to earn more dollars for work supposedly not included in the scope. A bad scope of work which does not detail what is expected of the contractor when it comes to loop checking (including details of loop folders, cal sheets etc) is another reason for him to sit back and not complete his side of the contract.

I would look to hiring a 3rd party commissioning crew. That generally works best. The installer is more conscious of maintenance friendly installations because they know another company will be going through their work before it is "turned over." 3rd party commissioning has always worked best for me. The will generally ensure potential issues are pointed out because it brings attention to that fact that their paycheck was worth it, and they may also get the remediation work, which is an "extra" and puts extra money in their pockets in a few ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back