Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instrumentation tagging by mechanical equipment numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

igorcornejo

Chemical
Mar 7, 2007
CA
Hi;

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find good guidelines or rules regarding tagging instrumentation by equipment numbers?

For example, Suppose I have a vessel: V-300

A pressure transmitter on this vessle would be PT-300, the level transmitter would be LT-300, etc.

If anyone could direct me to a web page, or if they have any suggestion on what's worked for or them and what hasn't I'd appreciate it.

We're trying to come up with some standard tagging practises and I want to make sure I've thought about it well before I start writting a spec.

Thanks

--Igor

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It won't always work Igor- sometimes it may be difficult to associate an instrument with a particular piece of equipment. Or you may have multiple instruments of the same type (e.g. a pump with multiple flow meters for many discharge lines).

Personally I prefer to have instruments that are associated as part of the same control loop numbered together- and then maybe throw a few others in there that are around the same piece of equipment- but not necessarily sharing the same number as that bit of equipment.

Cheers,

Daniel

Another opinion, I like instrument numbers related to unique vessel or equipment numbers. If P-103 has two meters, then FT-103A and FT-103B.

For those with religion about instrument tag numbers, some companies use the P&ID sequence number as part of the tag number. This too is fun.

I've used mechanical equipment numbers to tag instrument devices and I think this is the most effective means of tagging a piece of equipment. That said, some clients prefer suffixes - such as FT-103A and FT-103B and some places prefer things like FT-103-1, FT-103-2, etc.

dcasto: you're idea is exactly what I have in mind. Can you give me your thoughts in regards to mechanical equipment numbers, in particular what rules of thumb you've used in terms of gaps between mechanical equipment numbers, etc as well as what's worked and what hasn't worked. I believe tagging instruments (or, to be technical, tagging instrument loops) using equipment numbers is the best approach as long as the mechanical equipment tagging scheme has been well thought out. That said, if there were things that didn't work out as intended - I'd apprecaite it if you let me know what happened and in hind-sight what could have been done better.

JLSeagull: For my intents and purposes I don't think you're idea would work well. I can could already see nightmares in terms instruments changing P&IDs during the design cycle, as well as the tag number becoming too long. That said, I'm curious to know more about this type of a tagging scheme, just as information.

Cheers guys.

A German Standard called KKS Numbering system is available. I do not have the web Address.

However we use to have a method of indiacating the location of the instrument. Examble
for transmitter we can have PT xxx. The 1st & 2nd digit to indicate the location and 3rd digit to indicate the Sl. No identification for the instrument. There can not be more than 9 Pressure Transmitter in an Area/Equipment. In case if there are more, then we can consider 4 digit instead 3 Digit.
Similar method can be followed for FT, TT, LT, PG, TG, FE etc.

Google

KKS Kraftwerk Kennzeichen system.

This system could identify a washer on an instrument mounting bracket on a pump skid in a turbine hall in a paper mill, if you needed it to.

We have 5 digit loop numbers. The first 3 are the P&ID number. The last 2 are in a sequence starting with 00.

We've tried numbering the loops per the vessel, but as someone mentioned, you always have loops not associated with a major piece of equipment, or is shared between several.

We've also had issues with the plant changing the tank numbers after we've installed them.

Using the P&ID number also helps locate the instrument much faster.

We also use the A and B suffixes for instruments on the same loop, such as multiple Start/Stop stations for a single motor.

Instruments in the same loop should have the same number. I can't tell you how many times this is not followed. If you have a PT and a PV, they should have the same number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back