Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insulate the DA Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodprojengr

Chemical
Jun 25, 2008
US
How common is it for DA tanks to be insulated and do you recommended we do so and why?

I'm working with our boiler vendor and installer on the final punchlist for a new 200 hp Miura Boiler and one item I had suggested they needed to do was to insulate the DA tank. They've agreed to insulate the piping coming from the DA Tank for safety reasons and the blow down piping from the boiler to the separator, but didn't feel it was necessary to insulate the DA tank.

Photo of DA Tank attached.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never seen a DA that wasn't insulated - and that included both the DA section & the storage tank.

Do the heat loss from this unit, and figure out how much more steam you'll have to feed it if it's left un-insulated.

The equipment vendor should know better. And if the contractor didn't know that insulation was required, then he simply shouldn't be bidding on jobs like this.

There are DA tanks and then there are DA tanks. Large boiler (speaking more of water tube boilers than fire tube type) DA's are typically insulated but they also operate at 15-50 PSIG. I rarely saw the class of DA tank that you show insulated. They were mostly associated with commercial grade fire tube boilers (laundries and light industrial plants) rather than heavy industrial applications.

Still all in all, TBP's answer has it right. It is strictly a matter of heat loss and steam cost. What by the way is the operating pressure of this tank?

rmw

With no insulation you are losing heat and condensing steam (losing money to fuel), thus requiring more steam from system to keep DA full and hot (losing system capacity). Treat it as any steam vessel or pipe. Unless you want to lose heat and condense steam, insulate it. Also, the boiler room will be that much hotter and you have a safety issue with a 240+ F surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back