Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Insulation coordination

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitin36537

Civil/Environmental
Feb 16, 2001
IN
How to calculate required distance between arcing horn on insulator (Line side to tower side) of 220 KV transmission line for line having altitude of 1500 m to 2000 m above mean sea level.
Does this distance depend on elevation of line ? Does it depend on rated impulse withstand voltage of insulator ?
In India its value is 2130 mm considering normal altitude . Is this value is similar to other country practice ?

Thanks
Nitin Patel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my company the Electrical Engineers handle the interpretation of the NESC which gives the required clearance. I'm not sure what code governs the distance in your country. You might ask one of the EE's in your company. I would guess that the value depends on elevation and many other factors like humidity and pollution. The value given by equations is probably very conservative because Engineers tend to be safe when designing systems.

Thanks Transmissiontowers

We follow Indian code IS-5613 for lines in our country. We are doing lot of works for other countries also where we follow EN , NESC etc. Most of the time client specify required distance. As per my observation it is same as live metal clearance required under no swing position. What distance you provide as per NESC ? As per NESC 1% extra clearance is required above 1000m for every 100m. So for line at 1500m altitude , extra clearance is (1500-1000)/100 * 1 = 5% extra clearance require. Correct me if I am wrong.

I really only look at the structural parts of NESC and don't get into the EE realm. I'm in Houston, Texas and our maximum elevation is about 50 feet so we don't have to worry about much of an elevation change (or earthquakes). We just have hurricanes every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back