Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integral Abutment on Spread Footings

Status
Not open for further replies.

structeng24

Structural
Sep 27, 2010
US
Has anyone had experience with integral abutments on spread footings? I found two DOTs that describe the use; Maine Dot and Nevada DOT. I could only find details on Nevada DOT. I am looking at using, but trying to do a little more research and finding little information. Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a spread footing, or any rigid abutment foundation, you could look at a semi-integral abutment. These are common in rehabilitations. The span is still supported on bearings to allow for movement but instead of a vertical joint at the abutment you have a horizontal joint between the deck slab and the abutment. The deck slab extends over top of the abutment and usually connects directly to the approach slab. Retaining wall, and the roadway barriers are still attached to the fixed abutment with the deck sliding between them.

Review this documents - and the one you are already familiar with:The design and details are very similar for both spread footing or piles. Most countries in Europe are allowing spread footings and I'm seeing no reason for not doing it in US.
For longer bridge (over 200 ft) you may consider using hinged abutment at one end (with Freyssinet type semi-plastic concrete joint), but rigorous analyses with good software and adequately modeled soil springs could be helpful.

I'm to the thread late, but if your research hasn't lead you there yet, TENNDOT did a good bit of early work on integral abutments. I don't know if they did any on spread footings though.

IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back