Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integraph PDS 3D, Smartplan P&ID, INTOOLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

norzul

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2005
JP
Hi,

Some advise on the above...any lessons learned. Fyi, I'm currently involved in a cogeneration plant project. We've specified a requirement for the contractor to use the above engr tools for the design. I'm not that familiar with these. Some advise?

Thanks

norzul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi norzul,

I've used Intools for instrument index, instrument datasheet, as well as its wiring module and for producing loop drawings (both using Intool's standard, and with some modification).

Many of my large clients have standardized on Intools (both in petroleum as well as chemicals). Some medium sized clients are starting to move that way - I think since the EPCMs already have Intools (for their large clients) and are using them anyways.

My #1 lesson learned is to hire an Intools adminstrator with lots of project experience to set Intools up. I have been on projects where this has and has not been done. The differnce is phenomenal. It's not cheap (the software or the administrator), but if you want the tool to be effective, you need to do what is necessary to make it useful.

Intools probably has many other feature and capabilities - these are the ones I am familiar with.

Have you tried getting the vendor to do a lunch and learn to go over their product's full functionality? It may be worth while.

Hi!!

First, load the correct version of Smart Plant Engineering Manager and Smart Plant P&ID along with their respective service packs. To use SmartPlant P&ID, you will need a good Project Administrator who will be responsible for setting up the project, customize symbols / labels & report formats etc. required as per project requirements and doing troubleshooting. An Oracle tablespace will need to be created and the project needs to communicate with this tablespace. A set of draftsmen can then start drafting the P&IDs. A Quality Check person will be needed to check the drawings. Be sure u r using the correct version of Smart Plant Engineering Manager and Smart Plant P&ID. You should take site and plant backup of the project everyday just in case there is a crash. This will help in raising the project with minimal loss of data.

TQ SSriram. Yu mentioned about Smart Plan Engr Mgr.. Is it part of Smart Plan P&ID? or totally new software.

Fyi, in our project, the contractual requirements are:
1) Integraph Smartplan P&ID - for drafting the PFD & P&ID
2) Integraph PDS 3D - for developing the 3D model
3) Integraph Intools - for the instrumentation work

However, due to Contractor's lack of experience, they requested us to prepare the PFD & P&ID using AutoCAD and later on, for the final deliverables will redraft again using the Smar Plant P&ID. Off course...double work and to me is a bit stupid... But we ain't got much choice at that time coz schedule is pressuring us...and process engineering work need to immediately proceed prior to other disciplines.

Basically, in our project we don't really utilizing or integrating the "design capabilities" of the above softwares.

Thanks

norzul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back