Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrating a Keyence SR-610 + N-L1 to an Allen Bradley L23E 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CChulo

Electrical
Oct 14, 2005
US
Hi:

I am trying to integrate a Keyence SR-610 2D Scanner using a Keyence N-L1 dedicated communication unit to an Allen Bradley L23E CompactLogix via Ethernet. On the AB side I've added a Generic Ethernet Module for comms, the problem here is that I've been looking for days for the correct combination of connection parameters (Input, Output and Configuration in the Module Properties Window). Since the N-L1 is not an Ethernet/IP (I could be wrong) I'm planning to use messaging between the CompactLogix and the N-L1 once I figure out the communication issues.

To set up the N-L1 and SR-610 I've been using Auto-ID Navigator.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

JDD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the Keyence device uses its own protocol that's just transported over TCP/IP and ethernet, the CompactLogix won't be able to communicate with it using the embedded network port.

A "Generic Ethernet" object in the RSLogix 5000 I/O configuration requires CIP Assembly Object parameters because in this context "Generic" means "EtherNet/IP Device with an Assembly Object that doesn't have a configuration profile in RSLogix 5000".

Similarly, the CompactLogix MSG instruction only communicates with devices that implement CIP messaging, either native CIP Objects, native Logix Tags, or PLC/SLC Encapsulated Messaging.

You're probably going to have to use some sort of third-party inteface device for this application.

A little Googling didn't turn up a detailed interface user manual for the N-L1 device; can you point to one ?

So keyence can not answer this question? This question or configuration is based on what the manufacturer setup for these devices. You will not get your answer here.

EddieWillers thanks for your input, I have not been able to find an interface manual to setup the device other than the little information provided with the SR-610 Read Head. I've decided to use a third party Ethernet/IP converter and see how that goes.

Controlsdude: No Keyence couldn't figure this out, I've been exchanging emails back and forth with them for a few days now with no solution, so I've decided to use a third party Ethernet/IP converter as suggested by EddieWillers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back