Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Integrating Keypoints into a mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadegh87

Bioengineer
Dec 28, 2012
DE
Hello,

i have generated a simple area with the coordinates (0,0),(0,20),(10,20),(10,0) as solid PLANE183.
As i have noticed the four corners of this area automatically have each one keypoint.
Now if i mesh the area freely and put forces and displacements on these four keypoints, they get automatically transferred to the FE Model and i can solve the model without any problems. It seems that these four keypoints are somehow integrated in the mesh.

But, now if i create a new keypoint at (5,20), not located at the corner of the area, and put a force on this keypoint, this force is not being transferred to the FE model. I dont know what to do to integrate the keypoint into the mesh.

I tried the kmesh command for meshing, but i got the following error:

Element type 1 is plane183, which can not be used with the kmes command. the kmesh command is aborted at keypoint 3.

Then i tried the same with plane182, plane182, shell 181 and shell 281. All these gave me the same error.

How can i integrate a keypoint into a mesh, so that i can put a force and a displacement on it and solve?

Thank you.

Sadegh87

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The new key point you created will not form part of the area (how would it know anyway?). You will first need to clear the mesh (aclear,all) and then create a key point as part of the area. Try deleting the area first but leave the lines and key points. Then 'split' the line where you want the key point to be generated and then regenerate the area using the lines. Then mesh the new area.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

The keypoint that you create must belong to a line, and that line belong to an area. Then mesh the area. This way ANSYS recognizes the keypoint as part of the geometry, and, as such, recognizes forces and constraints applied to that keypoint and is able transfer them to the mesh for FE computation.

Regards,
Hugo Silva
Mechanical Eng. PhD student
Materials Eng. MSc.

Hello Drej, hello lopessilva,

thank you for your comments. I tried it the way that you discribed and it works now. I earlier had the illusion, that i can simply create a keypoint somewhere and the forces on this KP will be transferred.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back