Integrating Packaging Station 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvatio

Materials
Oct 10, 2003
MY
Dear all,

Currently in the packaging line that I worked in (pickling line) is facing some trouble. Some cold-rolled steel coils went missing, but were found later. Investigation shows that steel coils went missing due to ineffective information flow, where islands of information exist between production exit, packaging, other packaging stations, and storage yard. also, I am also having difficulties with packaging materials, where the supplier of the materials is from another production line, in which that production line has a packaging station itself.

To overcome this problem, will an integration of all packaging stations regardless of the production line be a suitable solution? such that all information will firstly be directed to one centre, and redirected back to others for feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All of the symptoms you report issue from people competing with each other. People do not withhold information or interfere with the flow of materials for their own amusement; they do it in response to management's behavior.

You might better understand the problem by developing maps of the flow of materials, the flow of information, and the flow of command and control. Do not be surprised if the maps do not resemble each other.

Since the root cause is nontechnical, and you are not the topmost manager, you cannot actually solve the problem. You can mitigate the symptoms, and appear to solve the problem, by finding, and selling, some pseudo- technical solution to some problem.

The specific nature of the solution is unimportant. What's important is that if all the players think that supporting the program will somehow enhance their political position, then the program will appear to work, regardless of its actual merit.

So, yes "integration", whatever the hell that means, can be a solution, as can its inverse, depending on how well you sell it. Are you good with smoke and mirrors?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back