Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intelligent fasteners and repeat regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

random_guy

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2010
US
We use a hardware library in Windchill with Creo 3. It works, but I started playing with the Intelligent Fastener tool and really like it. It's much faster/easier than using hardware libraries.

Therefore, I'm trying to get our BOM to work with it.

Here's my stupid part:
5_bivnii.png

And here's my current BOM:
1_dehgcg.png

With the current relations:
2_gt7wz5.png

Here are the screw parameters:
4_thkll9.png

So I wrote this relation in an attempt to select either the screw parameters (naming, designation) for item and description or our standard model parameters (drawing_num, description), and then to tie that to the repeat region using the new parameters (item_name, item_description). The new repeat region parameters are (asm.mbr.item_name, asm.mbr.item_description). Ignore the first block, that's to list bulk items with an "AR" for quantity.
3_lwclkp.png

But I get an empty BOM with this relation. Using "naming" and "designation" for my repeat regions, I can get the screws to show up, but not my created hardware:
6_pikau0.png

7_pucjem.png

So. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've spent several hours trying different combinations but can't seem to get it to work.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools do from the wise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also, is there a way to make all text uppercase? I don't see a "toupper()" function, like some programming languages have. My guess is you'd have to write additional relations for this capability.

Wondering if I should just give up and stick with our hardware libraries...

1) There is no upper conversion routine. You would need to extract the ascii value of each letter then determine if it is upper or lower and if lower, rewrite the string with the upper value. I used a subroutine for this when I did GRIP programming in UG/NX.

2) Use asm.mbr.item_name and asm.mbr.item_description as your repeat region fields. You did the asm.mbr for the original parameters then switched.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks for the help Ben. Since I've posted this, I've revised the code and corrected the error you mentioned. However, I still can't get this to work.

To simplify, I'll show only the one section (description). Currently I have the following code written:
if exists("ASM_MBR_DESCRIPTION")
item_description=asm_mbr_description
else
item_description=asm_mbr_designation
endif

So now the table will show the description for my created parts, but is blank for the screw file. I've tried several of the parameters listed, as well as making my own parameters (BUWSIZE and NICKG). I can't get anything other than "asm_mbr_name" to display in my table. Here is the parameters shown on the hardware:

Screenshot-2017-10-6_Intelligent_fasteners_and_repeat_regions_vojkc7.png

I appreciate the help you've given. Hoepfully it's something simple I"m overlooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back