Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interaction Contact Convergence Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnlan03

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2010
US
I have attached a .cae with the model I have been trying to run. It is a fully coupled thermal mechanical analysis of two aluminum plates that are weld about their edges. There is a uniform temperature gradient across the thickness of both plates. The central area of the plates has an interaction applied to it which is mainly described by the hard contact condition.

I am having a great deal of trouble making the model converge. I know it is related to the interaction between the two plates since when it is off it will easily converge. If someone could take a look at this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just ran your problem by decreasing the initial increment size and it ran without any problem. However, I don't see any advantage of using a 3D model over a 2D model in this case. Symmetry should also be used, which would significantly decrease the size of the problem.

What initial increment size did you use; I tried a few different ones and could never get it to converge. Also how many iterations did it take to converge?

I am using a 3D model and non-symmetry because this model will be used for a show and tell for the higher ups and they tend to like pretty 3D models.

The 3D model also shows the stretching in the X and Y direction of the material as it expands.

Thanks for the help

I have used X and Y symmetry in your model and also reduced the number of elements by changing global size to 0.003 (so I can run the problem in short time). The number of elements through thickness remained same as before. The initial increment size was 0.1 and model completed in 6 increments.

As far as generating pretty pictures are concerned, 2D models can be extruded and 3D models can be mirrored/copied to generate full 3D models during post processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back