Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interaction of gears (contact analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

automechanicar

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2007
NL
Hi,

Is it possible to perform a stress analysis of two gears in contact, that is one gear is driving the other one. I mean a motion analysis, including (contact) stresses and displacements of both gears.

Thus, actually a flexible body dynamics analysis, something which can be performed using more dedicated FE programs like NE/Nastran, Abaqus or Ansys for example.

Other examples where this type of modeling is useful is of course simulation od stress distribution in moving pistons and engine blocks.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, this can't be done in Pro/M, but I'm only familiar up to WF2.

There are new contact functions in WF3's Pro/Mechanism model, but I can't say with certainty if these loads can be transferred to a mechanica analysis or not.

A better package for this application may be MSC Dytran. They have a demo video at that your application reminded me of.

Hi justkeepgiviner,

It's exacly this simulation performed here with Dytran. I Pro/Mechanica it is possible to transfer forces and torques form Mechanism to Mechanica, only I dont know how to setup this type of simulation. I dont know what type of analysis I need (static or transient) and how to define it exactly as these examples are not covered in the Help Manual of Pro/M. Neither I know how to define boundary conditions and contacts.

I hope there is somebody who has done these simulations with Pro/M.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back