Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interchange assemblies & family tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

toc

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2002
GB
Is there a good source to provide guidlines on how best to use this functionality. We make a range of electrical cabinents, heavy duty baseframes and canopies (metal box to provide weatherproof and soundproofing). Products are highly optionised.
I would like guidelines or examples of interchange assemblies and family tables.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You probably want to utilize a PDM to control the different configurations. I am guessing that some products use the same cabinet but is then configured in a unique way. That would be a good candidate for PDM.

Hi Toc,

Family tables are great when done properly, terrible when not. A few pointers I use are as follows:

1. Plan the table(s) as much as possible before starting out

2. If in part mode name as much as you can, this means naming dimensions and features that are used on the family tables.
To name a dimension, use modify>dim cosmetics>symbol
To name a feature, an easy way is to go in your model tree, column display options>feature name> then hit >>. Now in your tree you can rename features.

3. In assembly mode, use the same method to name components, these arent transferred thru to the parent model so it's quite safe. The sam e part used twice in the assembly can also have different feature names.

*Try to use generic naming schemes as much as possible*

4. If the components that make up you top level asm are family tabled too, you can swap these in the top level family table. To do this, place the component on the family table, and replace the model name with an appropriate one.

5. Avoid using yur generic, try to make actual assemblies/parts instances.

6. Try replacing patterns with pattern tables, this way you can change patterning constraints of features/components easily by placing the pattern table on the family table and swapping it for another. Play with this one as it takes a little getting used to.

7. Put parameters on the family table such as desciption, issue level and component mass. This way your drawings are automatically updated.

I don't use interchange.

Good luck
happy.gif

Hayden

Hey TOC. Looks like the Family tables have been defined. I kind of got an idea of what you need to do. An INTERCHANGE assemlby is basically a type of assemlby that defines the common references between two parts/assemlbies. Usually these are planes, axis and surfaces. My favorite is the Coordinate system. Once this Interchange assembly is defined, the object can be changed with another. If your mounting conditions are identical, then I would give interchange a try.

Anymore questions... feel free. If this helps, gimme a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back