Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interested in starting my own automobile company, need advice 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

86corolla

Automotive
Sep 14, 2008
CA
I am contimplating starting my own automobile company. I need advice regarding what computer programs I will need to design a car basically from scratch, and if trail versions are available for free. I know I will need a CFD program but I am not sure which would be the best for someone without a supercomputer. The same holds true for a FEA program.

All posts will be read and all posts will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The great news is that all software vendors will give an automobile company a free seat for almost any program, and demos.

The bad news is that what they mean by an automobile company and what you mean are rather different.

Anyway here's some programs I've run across

drafting/solid modelling: Unigraphics or Catia or ProE.

FEA: NASTRAN ABAQUS ANSYS(?) LSDYNA

FEA pre/post processing: Hyperworks

ProE often have slightly limited free versions available, I am not aware of any way for normal people (as opposed to giant corporations) getting the others legally for free.

There are many other programs that can be used for other important parts of designing a car, but that's enough to start with.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Why start your own? You could probably buy Chrysler at a bargain basement price.

Frankly, though, if you're at the level of asking for free versions of sofware, I don't see how you've got the resources to actually implement the hardware.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Greg... Offtopic, but do you actually work? :) Your replies are everywhere!

You didn't suggest Solidworks which already has an integrated FEA solution--I'm not suggesting it's the best but it's certainly well consolidated. Solidworks has the trial period and I know that there is at least one (NEiWorks) Nastran plugin for it.

BiPolar,

Solidworks is not popular in the auto industry, while all of the software packages listed by Greg are.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

BiPolarMoment

If you click on someones handle you can read their history before you question their qualification and embarrass yourself

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

Pat,

While I do admit I may have posted from ignorance with regards to CAD packages in the automotive industry, the comment to Greg was a joke, not a questioning of his qualification. I'm sorry you could not be as civil as Cory.

Cory,

Thanks, I was not aware--I don't know why it could not be used for a start up though. Are there limitations that are particular to the Solidworks CAD package for automotive applications?

Thanks.

SW is somewhat less than completely magical when dealing with arbitrarily curved surfaces... like in automobiles.

But CAD software selection is among the least of your problems.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

BPM - I've pretty much given up on TV- so eng-tips (and a few other websites, I only regularly visit about 12) is what I do instead of finishing my homework. Nothing changes!

Cheers

Greg Locock

The first thing you will need to start a car company is cash, and plenty of it. Next is deciding what part of the vehicle you are going to design and or manufacture that will separate you from the competition. Then you will need to find partners to do the other parts of the vehicle. Many people underestimate the complexity of building a new several thousand part assembly. How you structure the design and development activities can have a significant effect on cost and success just as much as your software choices.

Try not to reinvent the wheel. Most features we see in cars were tried before 1950 so spend some time looking at history to see what did not work. is a list of defunct car manufactures in the US.

Ed Danzer

first IRstuff, as greg pointed out, my idea of a car company might be different from yours. I don't want another Chrysler, I'm sure Pagani is having the time of his life. Also I was asking for TRIAL versions, it would seem to be a waste of resources to purchase inferior software. And frankly, you don't know the limit of my resources.

second EdDanzer, thanks for the link. I couldn't help but notice most of those companies became defunct early in the last century. The plan is not to re-invent the wheel, just make it more efficient.

third MiketheEngineer, yes it will be good

oops... forth SomptingGuy, the CFD program is vital to what will make the engine unique.

Everyone else who took the time to make a usefull post, thank you and if you don't mind, keep the ideas coming.

Chow

Probably it would be less frustrating if you were to identify what tasks you need to accomplish, rather than just asking for a laundry list of packages that people use in the automotive industry.

Cheers

Greg Locock

If you want anyone here to take you at all serious, maybe you should outline your intent and resources.

To date from the information supplied (or not supplied) I have concluded you are a wanna bee with almost no resources. I suspect many others have drawn the same conclusion. If you want useful help, you need to really define the situation.

The request for info on FREE software, has in the absence of other information, reasonably led people to conclude you have almost no resources.

Even a kit car manufacturer needs considerable resources.

The last thing a new car company that cannot afford a collection of multi seat software packages normally does is design and make their own motor

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

I doubt you finish your engine design with free software or trial copies. We’ve been looking at CFD again to do hydraulic valve work and would have to budget $20,000.00 US minimum with training. Engine work would be much more involved and will require more than a normal Windows workstation to crunch the numbers. You may be able to do the engine design in SolidWorks but I doubt FlowWorks will do the CFD.

I plan on doing the valve design in SolidWorks because we have it, but will sub out the CFD as we cannot justify the initial cost and learning time for CFD on this project.

More information about your intents and goals would allow more information to be provided.

Ed Danzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back