Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting Aerofoil Platforms 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanblackwell

Aerospace
Feb 12, 2008
GB
Morning Brainics,

I have an issue and I'm hoping one of you smart people can help me out.

I have a turbine blade to produce, this turbine has awful platforms, (coloured red).

I can cut the aerofoil, But the platforms are causing me a headache.

Please can somebody point me in the right direction.
I'm using version 7.5

Cheers
Alan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you describe what the cross curves are, are they depending on on some other equation?
You have two good curves when looking in the z-axis but the shape in the x-axis not what you want?

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3

Hi Mickyv007,

Thanks for your response,
I think my first post is mis-leading,

This is the model I recieved from the customer, (some features have been removed).

I want to manufacture the platforms, (RED).

I know the platforms are messy, but thats what the customer requests.

Cheers
Alan

Not to get off topic but I program for a 7AX grinder (using T cutters as grinding wheels) only. I want to learn how you think when programming 3/4/5AX mills ect. If you have a solution to this, would you post the NX file so I can see what you did?

Hi guys,

I posted a few days ago.

I really am stuffed when it comes to manufacturing these platforms.
Ideally i would like to use the aerofoil as the drive surface & cut the platform spiral style.

I can cut the aerofoil in this fashion, but when the tool reaches the platform, the stepover is to large, due to the drive surface/check surface intersection curves generated.

Which manufacturing cycle do you think would work
What drive condition should I use
Etc....

Thanks in advance
Alan

Alan,
If you could post a couple views of the blade, I can look at it tonight at home. I'm at work (no internet here at work, only Blackberry). I've done several types of platforms myself on single blades.

--
Bill

ok,

I have attached a couple of screen grabs,

my status:-

I have been machining single blades for 4 years.
I machine blades on a 5 axis Starrag machine.
The software I use can only handle revolved platform surfaces.

The platform surfaces on this blade are chaotic surfaces!

I know how I would like to cut the platforms,
I have average knowledge of NX 7.5, but I can't get nx to cut these 2 platforms.

Ideally I would like to drive around the aerofoil in a spiral cutting the platform outside to inside.

Please reply

Alan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4e90921e-8286-4d1f-b293-540f67f0a3ec&file=blade.jpg
Rough some clearance on the blade. Next, machine the platforms using Variable contour- Streamline with the tool projection along the stacking axis (c'line of the blade). You can then set a scallop or steppover projected on the hub and shroud faces (separate operations). Sometimes I use toolaxis Interpolate to achieve the proper tool axis as it transitions around the leading & trailing edges to keep the tool from cutting dead center on the tip. Does this help?

--
Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sticking with me.

I'm doing ok as you will see from the attached jpeg.

But:-

I'm having issues with the 'tool axis' selection drop down box.

I have no idea which to select, I've tried various options, but all options seem to shoot the tool into space.

Any input would be great.

Alan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bcaf7098-3724-4731-adc5-1cf16bc0be7f&file=blade-info.jpg
JOB DONE,

I set the tool axis to revolve around a line, then tip the tool about 30 degs.

Thanks for your help Bill,(wmalan).

You deserve the stars.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back