Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interesting Bug in SMath 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
There have been a few items that seem not to work, since SMath has gone to the market. Mostly dealing with numbers being too large... This one is with units.

Clipboard01_mpv7yz.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two possible explanations:

The inputs should be defined above the equation region, not on the same line. I have noticed that the "center" of an expression field is not always the obvious row it's on but somewhere below. Shifting the result Cr=# down a line sometimes fixes it. I acknowledge that the error does not correspond to this problem, but I'd move it anyway.

One of the variables has a value of "0*unit". Sometimes SMath can evaluate an expression with mismatched units, when the numerical value is zero. And sometimes it can't.

Were both expressions typed in full, all keystrokes, or was one of them typed in full and the second generated by select-copy-paste? Try the copy-paste from the working expression back into the bad expression, just to see if what you think is the same expression actually might not be for various reasons (e.g. the "1" and "l" look similar, etc.).

Neither is the case... I can move the Variable output name below the cut and paste of the formula... and it doesn't change. I do all my calcs in Imperial and SI... I don't know who looks at them. I'm a dinosaur... I can work in both... but only really understand Imperial. If you ask me what a W12x26 moment capacity is, it's about 120 K-ft (350 grade), but if you ask me the capacity of a W310x39 is, I have to stop and think about it... (They're the same beams, and I cannot immediately convert the metric to the imperial... I have to think about that first) Both were 'exact' cut and paste... formulae for values with the output is the same as the one in the equation.
I've tried cutting and pasting all variables from their initial definition into the formula, and none of them works. But the answer cut and paste works for both Imperial and SI.

Clipboard01_tsaaay.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I forget the name of the setting exactly, but can you switch on "numerical format" or whatever it's called and compare them?
Do you have the yellow pop=up when you hover the mouse, displaying a large elaborate fraction? Are they the same?

I sometimes check...

-----*****-----

-Dik

OK it took me a while to remember the trick to open a v1.0 file in 0.99.

Now that I have it open, the two equations look the same "inside" when I select >optimization>symbolic.

Both give me 8.3837*10^5 Newtons. But the "Cr=" refuses to work. I can recreate the problem but various fiddlings didn't help.

How do you do that?

-----*****-----

-Dik

be appreciated... thanks Sparweb...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks IRS... I'll see if that approach works with a couple of other issues I've found. I've never done that with my programs... thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

The approach fixes the issue with r[sub]o[/sub] immediately preceding this formula. I don't know what the distinction is, but it's a great workaround.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I wasn't aware of that 'symbolic' and 'numeric' switch... thanks so much. It may fix a few other issues I've encountered.

-----*****-----

-Dik

IRS... that fix fixed a few other problems I had... thanks.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I'll take a gander, maybe I've set it in preferences... it doesn't seem to have that option... but knowing I can do this may fix some other issues.

@Sparweb... "OK it took me a while to remember the trick to open a v1.0 file in 0.99." Do you have this info... it'll likely be handy... thanks Dik

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back