Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interesting series - parallel battery connection.question. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgePal

Electrical
Sep 3, 2014
US
Hello! This is my forst post. Sorry, I can't submit a picture, I have to describe this in words. I have a battery pack. It is constructed of commercial AA cells, in series and parallel. There are 3 banks in parallel of 4 cells in series, giving a total output voltage of the pack of 6 vdc. The pack was supposed to be made per the line drawing below, where the | connections and the : connections are made. The pack was actually built with just the | connections, and NOT the : connections. So the leftmost stack of cells is connected all in parallel, but the 3 stacks going right do not have the interconnections, they are in series from left to right. So my question is, does this have any effect on the overall performance of the pack? The application is very high drain, I don't care if they dont last long. Going back and adding he missing connections is not an option. Does not having the : connects affect the pack performance in any concievable way?

|---()--+()--+()---+()---+
|&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|
|---()--+()--+()---+()----|
|&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|
|---()--+()--+()---+()---+
|&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp|
com&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp+ 6VDC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If there's just one bad cell in the pack, you will lose more capacity without than with the ":" connection.

If all cells behave identically, the ":" connection doesn't make any difference. But the connections help getting the most out of a pack where the cells are a bit different - which they almost always are.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back