Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interfacing ProE Wildfire 2.0 with PC-DMIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESOH

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2003
GB
Hi everyone,

I am doing a feasibility study (cost, ease of implementation etc) on implementing a ProE - PC-DMIS link in my company.

I was wondering if anyone out there can provide some help with the following questions:

1) Is the conversion of CAD files to CMM inspection programs widely used? If yes in which industries?
2) Within PC-DMIS there is an option to either "interface" or "import" ProE models. What is the difference, pros and cons between the two approaches?
3) In order for PC-DMIS to import the CAD file (ProE in this case) does the CAD model need to be constructed in a special way?
4) How does PC-DMIS handle/ interpret GD&T for features within the CAD model?
5) How does PC-DMIS handle "bluff" dimensions? An example of a bluff dimension is a generic length, say "L1" on a drawing. The actual value of "L1" will be stated else where.

I have many more questions on this subject, but perhaps starting with this is sufficient!

Thank you in advance for all the help.

E

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm in the process of assessing our CMM's capabilities or lack thereof, and recommending a software upgrade and/or equipment upgrade for the very purpose you have stated.
Our dream desire is to have the CAD Model translate into our CMM using PC-DMIS or a reasonably similar program, and then probing the part according TO that CAD model.
There are fixturing repeatability issues, as well as some manual set up issues but I'll respond to your numerical points:

1) I'm finding this is typically done in more modern
facilities that have the $$$ to buy into it.
2) "Importing" sounds like PC-DMIS would use the program
data without any additional feedback from the CAD; where-
as "Interface" implies a continued communication with
the CAD. Personally, I'd like to be able to have real-
time adjustments on an "Interface" level.
3) The presumption is that the creators of the Software
anticipate the various forms of CAD file construction
that are out there, so I'll assume for the time being
that in your Help files in ProE, you should be able to
learn what CAD file forms are able to be used by it.
4) Since G.D.&T. is widely used, again I would believe that
ProE would be able to cope. There may be manual steps
to enter the tolerances and conditions, which I would
prefer. I don't want the software to "assume" things
by default.
5) "Bluff Dimensions" are used on some of our prints and
it would make sense that you would be required to fill
in various fields such as this.

-Soupy1957

I took a look at their website. It looks like you have to have their Direct CAD Intefaces (DCI) to be able to read in tolerances and GD&T info. IGES or STEP interfaces are just going to give you a block of dumb geometry and you will have to input all the tolerances manually.

I expect you would have to have family tables of parts to handle the "Bluff Dimensions" with a different program for each part but there was no mention of this senario in the info I read.

Hi Guys,
I have been doing some additional reading on the subject and I have summarized my findings in a word document. Is there a way to post this on the forum?
E-Kiang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back