Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interior Exit Stairway

ARayT

Specifier/Regulator
Feb 15, 2022
US
Have under construction a 2nd floor addition onto an existing facility. The facility is general administration with approx. 100 employees and is sprinkled. In preparations for a 2nd floor the stairways were installed back when the original facility was constructed.
Question, Why is this door required?
The stairs exit into the hallway about 10 feet from an exit door leading outside. The designer has included installing a firewall and door in the hallway just left (or right based on one of two stairways) of the stairway exit, why is this door required? I've read 1023.1 and assuming this door may create an exit passageway but this also creates an extra obstacle for the 1st floor occupants. Any advise would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without seeing a floor plan. A little hard to call

A few reasons maybe

1. Door is part of a rated assembly

2. Door is part of enclosed rated stair

3. Stop the spread of fire from one floor to another

4. Other reasons

Does the door swing in direction of travel to an exit?

Thanks for the response.
Yes the wall/ door is specified to have a 1 hour rating.
The existing stairway and the hallway already have the required 1 hour rating. The facility has a fire sprinkler system.
The door does swing out (correctly) in direction of travel.
I would really like to delete this wall/ door if not required. To get it installed it will require reworking sprinkler drops, lights, security cameras and it creates an additional obstacle for the first floor occupants. Seems like you are creating a problem to alleviate another.

This is what I retrieved from the design analysis.
"The egress stairways must directly exit the building without entering another room or level
of open space. This requires the addition of walls and doors on the first level to create egress “vestibules”.

Thanks again for any advise.

Back