Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interior Shearwall on Porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

disoswam

Structural
Jun 15, 2011
US
How do you connect the exterior wall on a 14'x50' rear porch with walls on 3 sides in the middle of a 110' house to the roof diaphragm? Since the porch beam is the roof diaphragm chord the porch shearwall is an interior shearwall even though it is exterior wall. The builder plans to stucco the porch ceiling with gyp board so not much shear capacity. My plan calls for osb on the ceiling but the framer would rather not put gyp board and osb. The framer doesn't like my interior shearwall perpendicular to truss detail which attaches the shearwall to roof diaphragm with sheathing on blocking up to the roof. Framer said it would be more work to do 50' of blocking than to sheath the porch ceiling. LP used to promote stucco on Smartside panels but I can't find it on google so maybe they quit due to osb humidity cracking the acrylic stucco?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Capture_pgzmwj.jpg

This is the truss layout.

That's a long roof/wall connection for a porch that will be largely sheltered from wind in that direction. Maybe do the blocking detail every 4th truss or something?

I've used 2x4 diagonal braces from bottom chords to top chords. blocking and framing angles as required to make the appropriate connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back