Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Interior surface definition in 2D, can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke720

Materials
Mar 26, 2013
US
I am working on a model of a sphere impacting a substrate at high velocity with element erosion on both parts. I have gotten this to work in 3D by creating the model in CAE and then adding interior surfaces by modifying the .inp file.

Now I need to model the same scenario in 2D so that I can use it in conjunction with OOF2 ( however I cannot find a way to make the interior surface definitions work. The issue is that interior surfaces don't jive with surface-to-surface contact and general contact doesn't work in two dimensional models. This causes the particle to move through the substrate as though it isn't there as soon as the first layer of the substrate has eroded.

Does anybody have any advice on how I might be able to define interior surfaces in a 2D? Perhaps it would be possible to write a script to redefine the surface after each increment to account for elements that have been removed? I don't have any scripting experience but if this is the only way I'll have to learn.

Thanks for reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back