Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Cooling in Rotomolding - Airline supply routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morcuse

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2015
AR
Hello!

I've been looking into the Supacooler and Rotocooler technology. However, I can't help but wonder how to guarantee an airline supply to one of these products without it getting entangled, while the machine is rotating in two axis.

You can take a look at how it works here:
I believe maybe the airline supply hose is routed inside one of its arms. I can't see it working otherwise...

What do you guys think? Can anyone help me with that?

Roberto

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There have to be some rotary joints involved in order to carry the inflation air.
ISTR that you can get multiple channel rotary joints that could also carry a little misting water into the workpiece.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thank you for your response Mike,

I can see what you mean. I found this sketch - which I think could be applied to this particular type of rotomolding machine:

Rotational_molding_1_ctdx6a.jpg

Now, I can't see this working as easily on just any type of arm configuration. For example:
The transmission could be an obstacle to the airline supply routing.

In any configuration, the airline supply seems to be routed through the centerline of the arm. This would of course be a major modification in our existing design.

What do you think? I'm having trouble imagining it any other way.

Just assume each rotary union can carry two separate flows; one channel for polymer, one channel for cooling water. It only complicates the plumbing a little.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back