Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internal Dimensional Analysis of a small socket 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusaJames

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2007
US
Anybody have a good idea on how to find accurate dimensions on the inside of a small socket (ethernet style) and its corresponding connector. I tried using camera one of my suppliers has that will zoom in and measure for you but its not very accurate on the inside of the socket. I might have to pack it in Bake-Lite, cut it, and then measure it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can get to a Toolmakers Microscope or good comparator would be the way to go.

Another approach would be to find a microscope with a measuring reticle or just a crosshair if it has an X-Y stage.

I have used the method you propose numerous times, mounting by some means and cutting with a low speed diamond saw. I would still use a microscope with the X-Y table.

What about Reprorubber

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

I never thought about that. I haven't seen that particular filler before. I was considering setting them in resin then cutting and polishing them so the dims would be easier to see but this might be easier. I'll have to order some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back